Saturday, November 10, 2018

Common Mistakes in ESL: SAID

One of the most common mistakes that I have heard over the years as an ESL teacher, is the mispronunciation of said.

I suppose it would be logical for the word to be pronounced as 'say-ed', but unfortunately, English is not always a logical language. The correct pronunciation is as follows:

/sɛd/

I know not everyone reads phonetics - basically, it rhymes with the word bed. If you're still not sure about it, you can listen here: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/said

However, I have to admit that I have occasionally heard native speakers pronounce it incorrectly. I suspect that this is due to some regional dialects.

1 comment:

Alpha Assignment Help said...

Great work did by you. Informative and problem-solving content that users can easily digest can work for all types of blogs. When a user finds something informative on a blog, he/she is more likely to come back from your side.
Assignment Writing Service Help

Writing from Notes with ChatGPT

The following article has some great tips on writing from notes with ChatGPT, for Business English learners or anyone else interested. Simpl...