Wednesday, July 19, 2017

2 Common Mistakes

















Do you ever make these two mistakes in your English?

Common mistake 1:

A: Would you like a drink?
B: Yes, I like some coffee?

"I like some coffee" is not correct. The speaker means to say: "I'd like some coffee" or "I would like some coffee".

"I would like" is a polite way to say "I want". It is different from "I like".


Common mistake 2:

A: Can I have a napkin?
B: Sure, I get you one.

"I get you one" is not correct. It should be "I'll get you one". We use the future form here, even though it is the near future!

It is easy to make this mistake because "I get" and "I'll get" might sound alike to English learners. However, people who are proficient in English can easily hear the difference!


If you tend to make these mistakes, don't worry - it is quite easy to correct yourself.

No comments:

Writing from Notes with ChatGPT

The following article has some great tips on writing from notes with ChatGPT, for Business English learners or anyone else interested. Simpl...